Print this Post

Dragons build off weekend split at home

Sophomore forward Erin Nyberg takes control of the ball in the Dragons’ 2-0 loss to Augustana College in Sioux Falls, S.D.

It was a tale of two teams as the MSUM soccer team split their weekend games against Wayne State College (Neb.) and Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.

Against one, 17 shots on goal while scoring four goals. Against the other, just eight shots while being shutout.

Head coach Rollie Bulock’s team first opened the weekend slate against WSC, 0-6-0, on the offensive attack. The Dragons, 2-3-1, got seven shots off compared to the Wildcats’ two before the first goal was scored. Sophomore Erin Nyberg scored the first of her two goals at the 17 minute mark, assisted by Isabel Neyman.

“Right now Nyberg is the one we’re looking to to score our goals,” Bulock said.

Seven minutes passed when Neyman made a goal of her own past the Wildcats’ Courtney True. WSC quickly answered by taking the ball down the field and scoring in less than one minute.

Sienna Rebollozo converted the Dragons only second period goal to give the home team a fairly comfortable 3-1 lead. Emotions got tense for MSUM as WSC scored two late goals to tie the game.

The first overtime period passed yielding no winner until Nyberg showed off her scoring ability again. She took a pass from Alyson Beare and kicked it to the back of the net to give the Dragons the 4-3 overtime victory.

“Getting that win against Wayne State was huge for us, particularly our attitude going into the overtime,” Bulock said. “We weren’t satisfied with the tie. We were going to win the darn thing.”

But from Dr. Jekyll comes Mr. Hyde. Against a more offensive dominant Vikings team, the Dragons seemed to be on their heels for most of the game.

Augustana, 4-2-0, scored their two goals with 19 minutes of game play. MSUM could only get one shot off during the first period.

“Both goals came down the same side and we made the same mistake,” Bulock said. “We corrected that at halftime and we took it to them in the second half and we created some opportunities.”

Each team totaled seven shots in the second half, but neither could convert. The Dragons dropped the Sunday match, 2-0, to finish the split of the weekend.


Skip to toolbar